US dismisses ‘transparently false’ Russian claims of Ukraine plan to use ‘dirty bomb’
Connect with us

News

US dismisses ‘transparently false’ Russian claims of Ukraine plan to use ‘dirty bomb’

Madison Franz

Published

on

US dismisses ‘transparently false’ Russian claims of Ukraine plan to use ‘dirty bomb’
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

Antony Blinken joins Ukraine and UK in dismissing Moscow’s claim, saying the world will ‘see through’ any attempt to escalate conflict

Ukrainian soldiers fire at Russian positions using a US-supplied howitzer in eastern Donetsk region on Sunday. The US and UK dismissed Russia’s claims that Ukraine plans to use a ‘dirty bomb’ on its own territory. Photograph: LIBKOS/AP

The US has rejected as “transparently false” Russia’s evidence-free claim that Ukraine is preparing to use a “dirty bomb” on its own territory as part of an escalation of Vladimir Putin’s war.

Secretary of state Antony Blinken told his Ukrainian counterpart, Dmytro Kuleba, on Sunday “the world would see through any attempt by Russia to use this allegation as a pretext for escalation”, and vowed to continue supporting Kyiv for as long as necessary.

Earlier on Sunday, Kuleba denounced Moscow’s claims as “absurd” and “dangerous”, adding: “Russians often accuse others of what they plan themselves”.

Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky reacted swiftly to Moscow’s claims, calling for a united international response. “If Russia calls and says that Ukraine is allegedly preparing something, it means one thing: Russia has already prepared all this,” Zelenskiy said in a video address on social media. “I believe that now the world should react as harshly as possible.”

Zelenakiy said everyone “understands who is the source of everything dirty that can be imagined in this war. It was Russia who blackmailed with the radiation disaster at the Zaporizhzhia NPP [nuclear power plant].”

ALSO READ  US H-1B visa, green card process to get easier, Indians to benefit

On Sunday, Russia’s defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, spoke to his British, French and Turkish counterparts and claimed in all three meetings that Ukraine may use a “dirty bomb”, a conventional weapon containing radioactive material. Shoigu also spoke to Pentagon chief Lloyd Austin, but Moscow did not mention the dirty bomb allegations in its statement summarising that call.

The Russian minister cited no evidence for this claim as he warned of “possible provocations” on the part of Kyiv.

There is no evidence that Ukraine, which gave up its nuclear weapons in the 1990s, has any radioactive material in its military arsenal.

The UK Ministry of Defence said in a statement: “Shoigu alleged that Ukraine was planning actions facilitated by western countries, including the UK, to escalate the conflict in Ukraine. The defence secretary refuted these claims and cautioned that such allegations should not be used as a pretext for greater escalation.”

The Institute for the Study of War said a “false flag” operation by Russia was unlikely, dismissing Shoigu’s calls as a sabre-rattling move designed to intimidate Ukraine’s western allies and split the Nato alliance.

Russia faces continued military setbacks, including the likely loss of western Kherson by the end of the year, it said.

ALSO READ  Jennifer Lawrence's family dies in devastating fire

… we have a small favour to ask. Millions are turning to the Guardian for open, independent, quality news every day, and readers in 180 countries around the world now support us financially.

We believe everyone deserves access to information that’s grounded in science and truth, and analysis rooted in authority and integrity. That’s why we made a different choice: to keep our reporting open for all readers, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. This means more people can be better informed, united, and inspired to take meaningful action.

In these perilous times, a truth-seeking global news organisation like the Guardian is essential. We have no shareholders or billionaire owner, meaning our journalism is free from commercial and political influence – this makes us different. When it’s never been more important, our independence allows us to fearlessly investigate, challenge and expose those in power.

 Support the Guardian from as little as $1 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

“Rahul Looks Beautiful But…”: Himanta Sarma Doubles Down On “Like Saddam” Dig

Odyssey News

Published

on

Himanta Sarma Doubles Down
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

“I only said Rahul Gandhi, with his beard, looks like Saddam Hussein. I didn’t say anything else,” Assam Chief Minister says in an NDTV interview

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

Lady Susan Hussey, Queen’s confidante and Prince William’s godmother – profile

Odyssey News

Published

on

Lady Susan Hussey
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

Lady Susan Hussey, who has stepped down from her role as a senior palace aide, was a key and trusted figure in the British royal household for decades.

The 83-year-old is godmother to Prince William, the Prince of Wales, and was one of Queen Elizabeth II’s closest confidantes.

She was her longest-serving lady-in-waiting – with the title Woman of the Bedchamber – having first been recruited in 1960. Lady Hussey was also portrayed briefly in the current season of the popular Netflix series, The Crown.

  • Palace aide quits over remarks to black charity boss
  • Camilla to scrap tradition of ladies-in-waiting

Susan Katharine Hussey, Baroness Hussey of North Bradley, was born in 1939, the fifth and youngest daughter of the 12th Earl Waldegrave and Mary Hermione, Countess Waldegrave.

She has two children – one of whom, daughter Katharine, followed her mother into royal service, and serves as an official companion to Camilla, the Queen Consort.

Queen Elizabeth II Laughing With Her Lady-in-waiting, Lady Susan Hussey As They Gather Bouquets Of Flowers During A Walkabout On Her Jubilee Tour.IMAGE SOURCE, TIM GRAHAM
Lady Susan Hussey gathers bouquets during a walkabout with the Queen on her Jubilee Tour, 2002

Lady Hussey started working for the Royal Family in the same year the Queen gave birth to her third child, Prince Andrew.

At first, her role was to help answer letters, eventually becoming part of a close-knit inner circle of ladies-in-waiting with unrivaled knowledge of the workings of the palace.

The role of lady-in-waiting was typically given to wealthy aristocrats who were not paid a salary but becoming Woman of the Bedchamber was considered an extremely prestigious role.

Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip Seated On Thrones At The State Opening Of Parliament Held In The House Of Lords. The Queen And Prince Philip Are Accompanied By Ladies-in-waiting And Pages Of Honour. The Ladies-in-waiting Are Diana Lady Farnham And Lady Susan Hussey (far Right). (Photo by Tim Graham Photo Library via Getty Images)IMAGE SOURCE,TIM GRAHAM
Lady Susan Hussey (far right) accompanying the Queen and Prince Philip at the State Opening of Parliament, 2004

She sat alongside the Queen in the royal Bentley on the journey to the funeral of Prince Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh, in 2022, and led members of the royal household at her funeral at Westminster Abbey in September of the following year.

Buckingham Palace announced last week that Lady Hussey and the other former ladies-in-waiting who served the Queen would help King Charles III to host events and would be known as “ladies of the household”.

She resigned from that role, and apologized, after she repeatedly asked a black British charity boss where she was from at a palace event for campaigners against sexual violence against women.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

Therefore, Prince Harry should not have been informed about her cancer

Odyssey News

Published

on

Prince Harry should not have been informed about her cancer
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
While the Royal Family knew about Queen Elizabeth’s alleged cancer, one family member was said not to have been informed for a very specific reason: Prince Harry.

The headlines surrounding the new book by  Gyles Brandreth , 74, a former MP and close friend of Queen Elizabeth , †96, and her husband Prince Philip , †99, don’t stop. In “Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait” the author not only unpacks the Queen’s relationship with her grandson Prince Harry , 38, and his wife Duchess Meghan , 41, but also about their health condition.

Did Queen Elizabeth Have Bone Marrow Cancer?

Gyles Brandreth claims the monarch was suffering from a form of myeloma, “which would explain her fatigue, weight loss and the ‘mobility problems’ that we were often told about in the last year of her life.”

But while the public remained ignorant of her condition before the Queen’s death, the royal family was of course informed – except for Harry and Meghan, according to journalist  Kinsey Schofield in her “The To Di For Daily Podcast”. She believes that the emigrated couple was not informed about this and there is a very specific reason for that.

ALSO READ  Israeli air attacks in Syria kill four soldiers, wound one

Prince Harry is said not to have known

“Someone texted me today and said that Gyles may […] have gotten permission from the family to put this in his book to make sure it doesn’t become breaking news if Harry reveals it in ‘Spare’ , which I think is very intelligent.”

Kinsey Schofield thinks the royal family simply wanted to maintain control over whether and how this information is released. The renegade prince, whose scandalous memoir is due out in January, simply couldn’t be trusted.

ALSO READ  Lady Susan Hussey, Queen's confidante and Prince William's godmother - profile

Sources used: The To Di For Daily Podcast, express.co.uk, mailplus.co.uk

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

Trending