Former Prime Minister Imran Khan shot in foot in reported assassination attempt in Pakistan
Connect with us

News

Former Prime Minister Imran Khan shot in foot in reported assassination attempt in Pakistan

Madison Franz

Published

on

Former Prime Minister Imran Khan shot in foot in reported assassination attempt in Pakistan
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.
Islamabad, PakistanCNN — 

Pakistan’s ex-Prime Minister Imran Khan was shot in the foot at a rally Thursday, according to an official from his party, which said the incident was an assassination attempt.

A bullet hit Khan in his foot after a gunman opened fire, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) senior leader Asad Umar said.

The former Pakistan cricket captain was taken from the rally site just outside the town of Gujranwala to receive treatment in Lahore, around a two-and-a-half-hour drive away.

Khan is in a stable condition and undergoing surgery, according to Senator Fawad Chaudhry, a senior PTI politician and Khan’s former information minister.

Six others were injured and are still being treated, Chaudhry said.

Police said they detained a man suspected of firing shots at the rally. The male suspect was arrested with a 9mm pistol and two empty magazines, police said.

At least one person was killed in the incident, according to Faisal Javed, a senior PTI politician and close Khan ally who received a wound to the head in the attack. The victim’s name has not been released.

In a video statement Javed, who can be seen sitting up while receiving treatment, said: “Please pray for us, for Imran Khan, pray for our fellow workers who are severely injured and pray for our party member who has died and is martyred.”

ALSO READ  Lolita Ayala T-shirt? Super good, here we tell you how to combine them!

Protests broke out across Pakistan in support of Khan, including in the capital Islamabad as well as in Peshawar. Khan was on the seventh day of a nationwide rally tour calling for elections to be brought forward from August next year.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who came to power after Khan lost a parliamentary vote of no confidence in April, condemned Thursday’s attack on his political rival on Twitter.

“I condemn the incident of firing on PTI Chairman Imran Khan in the strongest words,” Sharif wrote, adding that he has asked for an “immediate report on the incident” and will pray for the recovery of those injured.

“Violence should have no place in our country’s politics,” Sharif wrote.

On October 21, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) recommended that Khan be disqualified from holding political office for five years, a move likely to further inflame political tensions in the country.

While reading out the recommendation, ECP chief Sikandar Sultan Raja stated that Khan was disqualified for being involved in “corrupt practices.”

The commission said its decision was based on the grounds that Khan had “made false statements” regarding the declaration of the sale of gifts sent to him by the leaders of Saudi Arabia and Dubai while in office – an offense that is illegal under the country’s constitution.

ALSO READ  Stocks mostly slip, yields ease in wake of Powell inflation comments

Khan was unseated in a vote of no-confidence following claims of bad governance and economic mismanagement.

Since then he has repeatedly claimed, without providing any evidence, that the United States had orchestrated his ouster. Khan’s allegations have become a staple at rallies he has held across Pakistan in a bid to return to power.

His claims have struck a chord with a young population in a country where anti-American sentiment runs high, and anti-establishment feelings are being fueled by a rising cost of living crisis.

This is not the first time that Pakistani politicians have been attacked.

Former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated on December 27, 2007, and then Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani survived an assassination attempt in 2008.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

Israeli air attacks in Syria kill four soldiers, wound one

Madison Franz

Published

on

Israeli air attacks in Syria kill four soldiers, wound one
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

Air raids were aimed at pro-Iranian groups in Homs and Hama provinces, war monitor says.

Four Syrian soldiers have been killed and one wounded by Israeli air strikes on military posts in the central and western regions of Syria, the Syrian state news agency SANA reported.

ALSO READ  Lolita Ayala T-shirt? Super good, here we tell you how to combine them!

At about 6:30am (03:30 GMT) on Saturday, Israeli jets flying over the Mediterranean targeted military posts in central and coastal Syria, according to the report, which cited a military source.

ALSO READ  WHATSAPP IMPROVES FEATURE TO MAKE IN-APP SHOPPING EASY

An Israeli air force F-15I fighter jet releases flares over the Mediterranean Sea during an aerial show as part of the celebrations for Israel's Independence Day marking the 70th anniversary of the creation of the state, in Tel Aviv, Israel April 19, 2018. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the air raids were aimed at pro-Iranian groups [File: Amir Cohen/Reuters] Four Syrian soldiers have been killed and one wounded by Israeli air strikes on military posts in the central and western regions of Syria, the Syrian state news agency SANA reported.

At about 6:30am (03:30 GMT) on Saturday, Israeli jets flying over the Mediterranean targeted military posts in central and coastal Syria, according to the report, which cited a military source.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based war monitor, said the attacks were aimed at pro-Iranian groups in the provinces of Homs and Hama, hitting weapons and ammunition sites.

The Syrian Observatory also said that Israeli forces targeted a Syrian air defence battery in Latakia province.

Syria’s air defences counter-attacked, causing material damage, SANA reported.

There has been no comment from the Israeli military.

Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes on targets inside government-controlled parts of Syria in recent years, but rarely acknowledges or discusses the operations.

However, Israel has acknowledged that it targets the bases of Iran-allied fighters, such as Lebanon’s Hezbollah, which has backed Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s forces by sending in thousands of fighters.

On November 13, Israeli air attacks killed two Syrian soldiers and wounded three in the central province of Homs, Syrian state media reported.

In October, an Israeli air strike in central Syria killed one Syrian soldier and three pro-Iranian fighters, according to the Syrian Observatory.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

N Korea warns of ‘all-out’ nuclear response to US ‘aggression’

Madison Franz

Published

on

N Korea warns of ‘all-out’ nuclear response to US ‘aggression’
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

North Korea has promised to ‘resolutely react’ to the US threat of nuclear weapons use with its own nuclear capabilities.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has promised to use nuclear weapons to counter threats from the United States hours after test-firing an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICMB), the latest escalation as the UN Security Council prepares to convene an emergency session on Pyongyang’s actions.

The United Nations Security Council, at the behest of Japan, South Korea and the US will gather on Monday to discuss North Korea’s latest missile launch.

North Korea test-fired what it said was a Hwasong-17 ICBM, which can travel up to 15,000 km (9,320 miles), on Friday shortly after warning of “fiercer military responses” to Washington.

“Kim Jong Un solemnly declared that if the enemies continue to pose threats … our party and government will resolutely react to nukes with nuclear weapons and to total confrontation with all-out confrontation,” Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Saturday.

KCNA said the Hwasong-17 launched on Friday was aimed at achieving “the most powerful and absolute nuclear deterrence” and described the missile as “the strongest strategic weapon in the world”.

North Korea has long defended its launch of ballistic missiles as a legitimate defence against what it calls a decades-old threat from US military forces and its allies in South Korea.

ALSO READ  Haruka Fukuhara "I want to convey the charm of the camp and the fun of challenging with friends!" The live TV series "Yurukan△" !

Kim was accompanied by his daughter, in her first public appearance, while he inspected a missile launch site on Friday. Trailed by military officials and personnel, Kim and his daughter walked hand-in-hand through the ICBM launch site where they paused to observe military hardware and multiple ICBMs.

Commenting on Friday’s launch, Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said his country had “lodged a strong protest against North Korea, which has repeated its provocations with unprecedented frequency”.

“We have told (Pyongyang) that we absolutely cannot tolerate such actions,” Kishida said at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit meeting in Thailand.

KCNA said the missile flew nearly 1,000 km (621 miles) for roughly 69 minutes, reaching a peak altitude of 6,041 km (3,754 miles).

Kim hailed the test launch a success, declaring it as confirmation of North Korea’s “maximum capacity to contain any nuclear threat” and a warning to US President Joe Biden’s administration and allies that any military provocation would trigger their “self-destruction”, KCNA reported.

“Our party and government should clearly demonstrate their strongest will to retaliate the hysteric aggression war drills by the enemies,” Kim stated, according to KCNA.

Friday’s ICBM launch and sabre-rattling statements come just days after Biden pressed Chinese President Xi Jinping in their first face-to-face meeting during the G20 talks in Bali to make it known to Kim that Washington would not stand for its “long-range nuclear tests”.

ALSO READ  Online Quran Tajweed Classes

Biden promised a “defensive” response to “send a clear message to North Korea” if Xi could not rein in Pyongyang. Biden has not yet directly addressed North Korea’s Friday ICBM test.

“We are aware of the DPRK’s ballistic missile launch and are consulting closely with the Republic of Korea (ROK) and Japan, as well as other regional allies and partners,” the US Department of Defence said in a statement sent to Al Jazeera.

“The United States condemns these actions and calls on the DPRK to refrain from any further unlawful and destabilizing acts. While we have assessed that this event does not pose an immediate threat to US personnel, or territory, or to our allies, we will continue to monitor the situation. The US commitments to the defence of the ROK and Japan remain ironclad.”

North Korea’s official name is the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).

 

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

News

In defending Saudi prince’s immunity in Khashoggi killing lawsuit, US cites PM Modi’s example

Madison Franz

Published

on

In defending Saudi prince’s immunity in Khashoggi killing lawsuit, US cites PM Modi’s example
Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

The US administration ruled that Mohammed bin Salman has immunity from a lawsuit over the murder of Jamal Khashoggi.

With the Joe Biden-led administration drawing criticism over its statement that Saudi Arabian Crown Prince

With the Joe Biden-led administration drawing criticism over its statement that Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has immunity from a lawsuit over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a US State Department spokesperson has stated that several leaders, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, were afforded the same immunity from prosecution previously.

When asked whether other heads of state or government would be given the same protection, Vedant Patel, the Department’s Principal Deputy Spokesperson, said, “this is not the first time that the United States has done this. It is a longstanding and consistent line of effort.”

Stating that the immunity “has been applied to a number of heads of state previously”, Patel cited various examples comprising “President Aristide in Haiti in 1993, President Mugabe in Zimbabwe in 2001, Prime Minister Modi in India in 2014, and President Kabila in the DRC in 2018.”

ALSO READ  N Korea warns of ‘all-out’ nuclear response to US ‘aggression’

US State Department spokesperson has stated that several leaders, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, were afforded the same immunity from prosecution previously.

When asked whether other heads of state or government would be given the same protection, Vedant Patel, the Department’s Principal Deputy Spokesperson, said, “this is not the first time that the United States has done this. It is a longstanding and consistent line of effort.”

Stating that the immunity “has been applied to a number of heads of state previously”, Patel cited various examples comprising “President Aristide in Haiti in 1993, President Mugabe in Zimbabwe in 2001, Prime Minister Modi in India in 2014, and President Kabila in the DRC in 2018.”

In 2005, the US had placed Modi, who was then the chief minister of Gujarat, on a visa ban in the wake of 2002 riots. The ban was only lifted in 2014 with his election as the PM, with the United States maintaining that it had not changed its policy.

ALSO READ  In Major Gaffe; US President Joe Biden Points To 'Selfishness; Of US Troops In Saudi Speech

“This is a consistent practice that we have afforded to heads of state, heads of government, and foreign ministers,” he added.

The Biden administration ruled on Thursday that MBS has immunity from a lawsuit over the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, drawing immediate condemnation from the slain journalist’s former fiancee.

Khashoggi was killed and dismembered in October 2018 by Saudi agents in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, an operation that US intelligence believed was ordered by Prince Mohammed, who has been the kingdom’s de facto ruler for several years. In September, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman bin Abdulaziz had named his son and heir Prince Mohammed bin Salman as the kingdom’s Prime Minister.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Continue Reading

Trending